Paul Scott, MD, MPH joined WRAIR's Emerging Infectious Diseases Branch at its launch in 2018. Prior to this role, he led MHRP’s HIV Epidemiology and Threat Assessment Task Area, which include efforts to characterize of HIV among military personnel, assess risk associated with the emergency battlefield blood supply and to study HIV in countries where U.S. troops are deployed.
Dr. Scott joined the Army in 1991 and served as a Major in the United States Army Medical Corps, where he was a preventive medicine and family medicine physician. He received B.S. from Santa Clara University in Santa Clara, CA, his MD from George Washington University, a Master’s in Public Health (MPH) from Johns Hopkins University, and is board certified in preventive medicine and family practice.
In addition to his work at EIDB, Dr. Scott also serves as an adjunct assistant professor of preventive medicine and biometrics at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences and as faculty for the General Preventive Medicine and Public Health residency program at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research. He completed his general preventive medicine residency at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD and his family medicine residency at Madigan Army Medical Center, Ft. Lewis, WA.
1. Modjarrad K, Roberts CC, Mills KT, Castellano AR, Paolino K, Muthumani K, Reuschel EL, Robb ML, Racine T, Oh MD, Lamarre C, Zaidi FI, Boyer J, Kudchodkar SB, Jeong M, Darden JM, Park YK, Scott PT, Remigio C, Parikh AP, Wise MC, Patel A, Duperret EK, Kim KY, Choi H, White S, Bagarazzi M, May JM, Kane D, Lee H, Kobinger G, Michael NL, Weiner DB, Thomas SJ, Maslow JN.Safety and immunogenicity of an anti-Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus DNA vaccine: a phase 1, open-label, single-arm, dose-escalation trial. Lancet Infect Dis. 2019 Sep;19(9):1013-1022. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(19)30266-X. Epub 2019 Jul 24. PMID: 31351922 Free PMC article. Clinical Trial.
2. Kijak GH, Sanders-Buell E, Pham P, Harbolick EA, Oropeza C, O'Sullivan AM, Bose M, Beckett CG, Milazzo M, Robb ML, Peel SA, Scott PT, Michael NL, Armstrong AW, Kim JH, Brett-Major DM, Tovanabutra S. Next-generation sequencing of HIV-1 single genome amplicons. Biomol Detect Quantif. 2019 Mar 11;17:100080. doi: 10.1016/j.bdq.2019.01.002. eCollection 2019 Mar. PMID: 30923677 Free PMC article.
3. Brett-Major DM, Scott PT, Crowell TA, Polyak CS, Modjarrad K, Robb ML, Blazes DL. Are you PEPped and PrEPped for travel? Risk mitigation of HIV infection for travelers. Trop Dis Travel Med Vaccines. 2016 Nov 28;2:25. doi: 10.1186/s40794-016-0042-9. eCollection 2016. PMID: 28883969 Free PMC article. Review.
4. Blaylock JM, Hakre S, Okulicz JF, Garges E, Wilson K, Lay J, Roska EA, Michael NL, Beckett CG, Cersovsky SB, Peel SA, Scott PT. HIV Preexposure Prophylaxis in the U.S. Military Services - 2014-2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018 May 25;67(20):569-574. doi: 10.15585/mmwr.mm6720a1. PMID: 29795080 Free PMC article.
5. Blaylock JM, Hakre S, Decker CF, Wilson B, Bianchi E, Michael N, Beckett C, Okulicz J, Scott PT. HIV PrEP in the Military: Experience at a Tertiary Care Military Medical Center. Mil Med. 2018 Mar 1;183(suppl_1):445-449. doi: 10.1093/milmed/usx143. PMID: 29635556
6. Billings E, Heipertz RA, Varleva T, Sanders-Buell E, O'Sullivan AM, Bose M, Howell S, Kijak GH, Taskov H, Elenkov I, Nenova M, Popivanova N, Valenzuela AB, Myles O, Bautista CT, Robb ML, Michael NL, Kim JH, Scott PT, Tovanabutra S, Ake JA. HIV-1 genetic diversity and demographic characteristics in Bulgaria. PLoS One. 2019 May 28;14(5):e0217063. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0217063. eCollection 2019. PMID: 31136611 Free PMC article.
7. Harbertson J, De Vera K, Scott PT, Li Y, Shaffer RA, Michael NL, Hale BR. Longitudinal survey of condom use across a US Navy and Marine Corps shipboard deployment. BMJ Open. 2019 Jun 22;9(6):e028151. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2018-028151. PMID: 31230018 Free PMC article.
8. Okulicz JF, Beckett CG, Blaylock JM, Hakre S, Agan BK, Michael NL, Peel SA, Scott PT, Cersovsky SB. Review of the U.S. military's human immunodeficiency virus program: a legacy of progress and a future of promise. MSMR. 2017 Sep;24(9):2-7. PMID: 28953410 No abstract available.
9. Dearlove B, Lewitus E, Bai H, Li Y, Reeves DB, Joyce MG, Scott PT, Amare MF, Vasan S, Michael NL, Modjarrad K, Rolland M. A SARS-CoV-2 vaccine candidate would likely match all currently circulating variants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2020 Sep 22;117(38):23652-23662. doi: 10.1073/pnas.2008281117. Epub 2020 Aug 31. PMID: 32868447
10. Harbertson J, Scott PT, Lemus H, Michael NL, Hale BR. Cross-Sectional Study of Sexual Behavior, Alcohol Use, and Mental Health Conditions Associated With Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Deploying Shipboard US Military Personnel. Mil Med. 2019 Dec 1;184(11-12):e693-e700. doi: 10.1093/milmed/usz070. PMID: 31004170
Full publications list.